Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Monday, December 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Little Miracles

I really can’t believe this day is here already. On one hand it is so exciting because Ellie is thrilled to finally have her birthday. On the other hand it seems surreal that three years have already passed.

The memories I have from this day three years ago still bring tears to my eyes. It will always remain the absolute best day of our lives.

I remember Brandon overflowing with pride as he ran from my recovery room back to the NICU to video the babies.

I remember the being wheeled into the NICU to see Bennett and Ellie for the first time. They looked so different to me and they were so unbelievably tiny.

I remember Ellie’s black hair and Bennett’s HUGE feet!

In a matter of hours we had gone from a family of two to a family of four and we couldn’t have been filled with any more joy.

It’s amazing how three years can change your life so dramatically. Never in a million years could we have imagined the mountains we would have to climb. The memories we would make…good and bad. The heartache that awaited us and the blessings that were yet to come.

Our last three years of life have been full. Full of laughs, celebrations, hope, love, a little fear and a lot of tears, but above all of that the last three years have been full of faith.

This day is always a balance of happiness, gratefulness and sadness as we grieve Bennett’s absence. What would he look like? What would I have dressed him in? Would he have woken up ornery like Ellie did this morning? What donut would he have picked out for his birthday breakfast?

But, for the first time today on their third birthday I didn’t wake up mourning. I woke up singing to my baby girl. The thought of sadness was outweighed by the atmosphere of celebration I created for her. She is here and she is ours and she is amazing!

Ellie woke up bright and early and a little on the wrong side of the bed! She walked into the kitchen and ate a kolache and a pink frosted donut for breakfast. We snuggled on the couch and then it was time to get ready for her big day. I have had an outfit picked out for months and it looked even more precious on her than I could have imagined! Mimi picked Ellie up and they were off to Ellie’s big 3 year old check up and then to run errands together.

Words will never be able to explain what our two babies have done for our lives. My heart is so full of love and pride for my two perfect miracles!

We will celebrate tonight with Ellie’s favorites…Mac-n-Cheese, tomatoes and cake! A birthday dinner fit for a three year old princess!

It makes my heart a little less heavy to know that Bennett will be celebrating as well and I am sure he will be eating the best chocolate cake ever!

Happy third birthday to our precious angels! You both mean the world to Daddy and me and our lives wouldn’t be full without you!

Catching snowflakes on her tongue!

In her birthday outfit for her gymnastics party.

Sending a birthday balloon to Bubba at her party!

Visiting Bubba with balloons and flowers.

Happy Birthday precious Ellie!!!

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Happy Birthday, Ellie!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday! I know Logan is celebrating with Bubba today in heaven. I've enjoyed watching you grow and hope to meet you someday in person!

Amy said...

Happy Happy Birthday to 2 of my favorite little miracles! I can't believe you are 3 already! I will have to come over one evening this week or weekend and bring your b-day present Ellie Grace! We love you and pray for all of you everyday! The Miracle Kahl Family!

Cara said...

Happy birthday, Ellie!! You are just too cute! :)

Candice said...

Happy birthday sweet girl! Baby Wees and Ms Candi are really sad we couldn't celebrate with you, but next year we're definitely there! Also glad all is well with the sticky bun! We're thinking of you all daily.

The Lyons Family said...

Happy birthday, sweet ones! We are so thankful for the testimony of your lives! May the Lord continue to bless you, Kahl, family. Praising Jesus today for the joy that comes in the morning. Belly rubs & kisses to Sticky Bun! Love, the Lyons family

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Happy Birthday E&B!!! They are all getting so big!! Love Ellies hat and coat!!!!

The Lane Family said...

Happy Birthday to your little girl and your son. I watched the video for the first time and it brought tears to my eyes and also so many memories came flooding back of saying goodbye to our daughter.

We also release balloons on her birthday and decorate her grave.