Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The results

Hectic.

Frazzled.

Exhausting.

Busy.

That is what the last two days have been.

Why would I expect them to be any different than the rest of my days…I don’t know.  But, for some reason yesterday and today have taken a major toll on me physically, mentally and emotionally.

I’ll just start out by saying that I had the WRONG date for Cullen’s PFT.  Totally not like me to show up for an appointment on the complete wrong day, but I sure did it yesterday!  By the grace of God they just happened to be able to squeeze us in!  Which was a total blessing.

I took a ton of pictures of the procedure, but I was using my phone, so excuse the quality.

Here is the timeline and photo recall of our day.

We showed up at the hospital at 10am on the dot .  Cullen was npo (nothing by mouth) since 7am.  Starving my baby and listening to him scream the.entire.way to the hospital was horrible!  I was pretty close to tears myself a few times.

Anyway, we showed and realized I was a day early, but the RT who knows us very well was sweet enough to work it all out.

Here is our little man…he wore himself out with all of the hysterics on the way to the hospital.

pft2

Here is the chamber…

pft1

By about 11am the nurse had gathered all of his info and it was time to administer the chloral hydrate (?)…which is the sedation med.  I had to hold Cullen while he went to sleep and I’m going to be honest…I had to choke back tears as I did that.  There was a lot of deja vu for me that day.  A lot of reminders of the several surgeries that Bennett went through and all the times we sat next to him waiting for him to wake up from sedation.

Here is mommy holding her baby boy while he went to sleep. (don’t let the smile fool you!)

pft4

Once he was totally asleep it was time for the testing to begin.  I would be lying if I said I could remember every single thing they tested.  I did a lot of praying and staring at the monitor watching his heart rate and oxygen saturation.  I spent months watching those same things on the monitor with Bennett…daja vu again.

pft8 pft5

All the while this is was sister was doing…

pft3

Here is our little man inside of the chamber.

pft6 pft7

After about an hour of testing I was allowed to scoop my little guy up in my arms while he started to wake up.  Poor baby was so confused and totally out of it!  I was allowed to nurse him ~ and he was eager to eat, so eat he did!  Then he vomited all over both of us!  We had to stay for him to be monitored for about 45 minutes. 

pft9

Finally, the kiddos pulmonologist came in and interpreted the data.  The numbers boiled down to classifying Cullen with mild disease as of right now.  His lower lungs showed restriction and that was concerning to our doctor.  He did show improvement after zo.penex was administered, so both kiddos are now on inhaled zo once per day.  I can’t wait to get Cullen’s chest xrays to see what they show.  At 4 months old I expected them to classify Cullen in the normal range, so the fact that they already have concerns scares me to death.  Both the RT and the pulmonologist said that there were some results they didn’t expect from the lower lungs…not what I was hoping to hear!  I will get his printout and post his numbers for all of those CFers out there.  I am so tired I can’t remember anything right now!  I do know that his FEV.5 was really good though!  Good news to this momma!  It was 107%!!! 

 

So, after 5 hours at the hospital and NO FOOD at all for the day, Brandon and I headed to dinner!  Our little man started to wake up a little more and our little lady posed for many pictures!

pft10 pft11 pft12

We stopped here as a surprise for Ellie and to reward her great behavior…

pft15 

And this is what our car looked like on the way home…

pft13 pft14

Today, Cullen woke up with a swollen, red eye.  So, we were off to the doctor for our weekly donation to their office.  He has a little clogged duct, but she gave me antibiotic drops just in case it tried to get out of control.  Here was our little guy tonight.  He loves it when I make a kissing sound…my babies are the light of my life!!

pft16 pft18

Speaking of deja vu…

P2240105

P2240113

P3040172

I think my little boys look a lot alike!

Blessings,

Angie

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh honey! Let me know if you need anything. And holy cow I can't believe how much they look alike when you put the pics side by side. Two of the most beautiful boys I have ever laid eyes on! Love & God Bless

The Lane Family said...

Your boys do look a lot a like and they are both so sweet and cute!!!

I am sorry about the news you received because I know that you never want to here something is wrong with your kids.

Let's hope that someday there will be a cure for CF and so many other illnesses.