Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Monday, January 3, 2011

My TOP ten…

I had a lot of time to research and read reviews while I was on bed rest last year.  I spent a lot of my time reviewing baby items because we had to start all over with our buying for Cullen. 

I have so many friends that are pregnant right now that read my blog, so I thought I would compile a list of the top 10 things I couldn’t have lived without these last six months. (in no specific order)

1. The germ guardian nursery sanitizer: I love, love, love this item!  I use it at least 2 times a day.  After all of my sippy cups and bottle nipples come out of the dishwasher I throw them right into the germ guardian and dry heat sanitize them.  I also use it for our nebs and any syringes we use after meds.  You can throw any toys and pacifiers in as well.  If it will fit, you can believe that I have put it in there to be sanitized!

Germ Guardian Nursery Sanitizer - Guardian Technologies  - Babies"R"Us

2. Medela Harmony Manuel pump: So, I have a very expensive hospital grade electric pump and I think I’ve used it 5 times since Cullen was born!  I also have a TON of reserve frozen milk (like an entire deep freezer full), so you know that I’ve been busy pumping when he isn’t eating.  So, with what???  I L.O.V.E. this pump so much that it is the only one I use…and I have two of them now!  It literally takes me just minutes to have at least 5 ounces pumped and in the freezer.  It is the most practical pump I’ve ever used and between the twins and Cullen I’ve owned…FIVE!  This pump is worth every penny and it’s only $34.99!

 Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump - Medela  - Babies"R"Us

**I also used the me.dela breast milk bags b/c after trying several brands I found they were the thickest.  Lansinoh bags were my second fav.

3. MOBY wrap and baby sling: We all know I’m a germ freak…and for good reason!  So, when my babies were super small I would only carry them in public if they were in a baby sling.  I have had two brands and been happy with both: hot.slings and a petu.nia pickle bottom one.  Now that Cullen is more curious and a little bigger I carry him in a MO.BY wrap and he loves it!  At 18 feet long it can seem a little overwhelming to tie, but go to You.tube (thanks for the tip Mindi) and you can watch videos that teach you all different ways to carry your baby.  Both are definitely worth every penny!  (side note: We did have a b.jorn with Ellie and B used it to carry her around in, but when she hit about 6 months her chubby little legs were too big for it)

 Aug10 161

4. Me.dela quick clean breast pump and accessory wipes: LOVE these!!!  Yes, it’s easy to just use soap and water, but I wanted to make sure I was using a product gentle enough so that no soapy residue was left behind.  You can take these with you for pumping on the go which is so convenient.  These were a must have in my breast feeding world!

Medela Quick Clean Breast Pump & Accessory Wipes - 24 Pk - Medela  - Babies"R"Us

5. Be.aba babycook system: I was lucky enough to buy this 50% off from a friend that also made her little guy’s food.  I would have spent three times that for this little gem!  I LOVE this thing!  There is no comparison to this and a food processor.  The blades in the babycook are slanted at an angel that puree’s food perfectly every single time.  I usually spend a few hours one day a week prepping food for the week.  I make, pour into ice trays, freeze and then divide into labeled freezer safe baggies.  I have sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, applesauce and peaches in the freezer already for this week.  I will never have to buy baby food that has a shelf life of 2 years ever again.  We also use Earth’s be.st whole grain cereal because it is the only truly organic baby cereal on the market. (I’m a little too chicken to make my own cereal!)  If you are wanting a good book to read about feeding your baby the Sup.er Baby Food book is awesome!

Beaba Babycook BPA Free Baby Food Maker -  Beaba - Toys"R"Us

6. The miracle blanket: Bringing home a newborn was a whole new experience for us!  We quickly learned that Cullen would sleep so soundly if he was swaddled.  Our fave (b/c there was no Velcro and we could wrap him to size) was the miracle blanket.  Priceless in those first few months! 

June2010 092

7. Crinkly lovey: So, we discovered early on that the sound of the diaper wipe bags fascinated Cullen.  He has always loved to have soft cloth in his mouth as well.  I spent a fortune on small “lovies” that had a layer of crinkle between minky fabric until I had a great idea!  I would make him a crinkly lovey out of minky and flannel.  He LOVES IT!  It literally keeps him entertained and not fussing for a half hour! (and it is monogrammed…too cute!!!)

cullenblanket

8. aden & anais blankets: Cullen LOVES to have cloth in his mouth.  We have loved this brand because of its thin, soft muslin fabric.  We have the large blankets and the small security blankets and we are constantly washing them to have on hand.

aden + anais Issie Security Blanket - Kai Guy (Cars) -  Toys 'R' Us - Toys"R"Us

9. BOB stroller: I agonized for months over which twin stroller to buy.  I don’t let Ellie walk/wonder while we are shopping, I still make her sit in the stroller, so having a twin was a must.  I have owned 7 (yes, it’s an obsession) strollers and I absolutely can not say that any of them are the quality of the BOB.  My only issue is that I wish the BOB looked a little less…rugged.  Alas, the quality wins over the looks, so we went with the stroll.er strides twin BOB and even though it is super hard to lift up into my SUV I still love it!  I can honestly say I wish I wouldn’t have spent a dime on any other stroller.  This product is totally worth saving to splurge on.  (They are 15% off on BRU right now!!!)

nov2010 028

10. Mustela baby wash: This has got to be the best smelling, best for baby, wash we have used.  Both of my kiddos (Ellie more than Cullen) have super sensitive skin.  The 2 in 1 wash is soap free and leaves your clean little one feeling so soft!  Ellie LOVES the milk bath (mommy does too!) and this is the only shampoo we have ever used on Cullen.  I am sure that people will think I am nuts, but I bathe my kiddos every night.  This product is so gentle that they have never had dry skin from “over washing.”

***Okay, so I realized a few more as I was typing!

11. The boppy: I still nurse and the boppy is still the pillow that I use for a hands free comfortable nursing session.  Cullen still falls asleep in it!

12. The bumbo chair: Thanks to a good friend I didn’t have to buy another one of these.  I didn’t remember using this very often with Ellie, but as soon as we put Cullen in it he learned to sit on his own!

13. Play.tex bottles: When he actually takes a bottle we like these.  They are the most sanitary in my opinion b/c you use a brand new bag every time.  When the bottle is done you simple throw the insert bag in the trash, sanitize the nipple and throw it in the sterilizer (if you are me!!). 

I should probably do a post of things that were a waste of money for us!   

So, that’s it!  My favorite baby items that we couldn’t live without.   

Blessings,

Angie

1 comment:

JJ's Journey said...

Thanks for the list Angie!! I have most of the items on my registry. Thanks for the breast pump!! We are taking advantage of the BRU sale on the BOB stroller this week. This is a must have!!