Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Sunday, March 16, 2008

A story worth telling

I wouldn't typically write two journal entries in one day...but, this is a story worth telling.

After a long day of lawn work, house work and entertaining Ellie Grace we headed out to get our typical white balloons and flowers to take to Bennett. Brandon and I usually take turns going in to the store to buy the flowers depending on who is driving that day. Today, Brandon was driving so I had the pleasure of picking out Bennett's special flower arrangement.

After much consideration, I decided on beautiful white lily's, babies breath and fresia. I went to the counter and asked the VERY young girl working if she would mind cutting the ends of the stems for me. With my son's bouquet in hand I went to get a bottle of water and check out. As I was paying I realized that I had forgotten the white balloons. No worries ~ I would just head back to the floral dept. again and make another transaction.

When I returned to get the balloons there was no one behind the counter. I stood patiently waiting, sure that the VERY young girl would be right back. I mean she DID leave her cigarettes, lighter, I-pod and knock off sunglasses on the counter, so how far could she have gone??? Sure enough she returned a few minutes later. I explained that I had forgotten to get three white balloons with light blue string. She was quick to complete my order and began to double knot the balloon string to the clip that was acting as the weight. I told her not to worry because I was just going to release the balloons anyway...here is where the story gets interesting.

Let me remind you that this girl is VERY young ~ so young she had her highschool ring on her finger! She looked at me with pity in her eyes and said these exact words, "Oh, sweetie...I understand. I have been there."

WHAT??? Was she kidding me? She wasn't even old to "have been there!" I know my jaw hit the ground and for once in my life I was speechless. WHAT A JOKE!

No comments: