Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The slacker in me

Surprise, surprise…there is a slacker in me. My goal was to blog every single day about that days events or how I am feeling or just to post pics of our growing baby girl. Well, that didn’t happen this week…although I have written and rewritten this post a million times already.

I decided to keep a notepad of paper near me in the car, so when I get hit with an idea or something I need to write about it I will be able to remember it by the time I get home. I will have to start this next week because I already forgot to take it with me and tomorrow is Thursday. Oh, well. I am sure I will get it together soon…

We made a decision to travel back to Orlando this summer even after the almost unbearable high temperatures we experienced last summer. So, on Friday we will board an airplane for the first time as a family and with Bennett’s memory tucked into our hearts we will take off for a weekend of fun! Our plan is to visit Animal Kingdom on Saturday and then Sea World on Sunday. Ellie Grace LOVES animals, so we figured those two places would be perfect for her. She is at such an exciting age right now. She knows what she likes and she gets excited about it. It is difficult to imagine going on another semi-family vacation to a place where we dreamed of having Bennett with us. I believe with all of my heart that he will be with us this year as he was last year. This also marks the one year anniversary of the second biggest scare of our lives…the trip to TCH for Ellie Grace. That turned out to be the MOST EXPENSIVE diaper rash in the history of all diaper rashes! It’s funny to talk about now, but the day we returned from Florida last year is when she began gasping for air…it was exactly 6 weeks to the day that Bennett died. I just reread that journal from last year and it brought chills to my body. What a year…what a life!

When can you just sit back for a second with out worrying about anything? I am not expecting a lifetime of worry-free living. I am just wanting to enjoy what I have now without any new worries…it might not be possible.

Speaking of worries…I am still waiting for the doctor to call us back for our next appointment. We are basically waiting to see if I will have to have surgery again in the next few months. We are praying that my body is healthy and strong, but it has failed me in the past so I guess I shouldn’t have super high expectations. At any rate we are still waiting. I believe that Brandon will have to be blood tested to see if he is a carrier of CF. Because Bennett showed up as a carrier it means that one of us is. I am pretty sure that they already performed that test one me…but my medical file is as long as Bennett’s and I am sure some of that info gets lost in the shuffle.

Lost in the shuffle is a funny term to me…I feel like I am lost in the shuffle of life sometimes. So many thoughts are constantly racing through my mind about Bennett, Ellie, Brandon and the business. I am constantly shuffling thoughts about each of them in my mind…always thinking…always worrying…

There are a few prayer requests I would like to put out there from us. Please pray for Heather ~ a young mom in the blog world that recently found out she has stage IV melanoma cancer. I have listed her blog under our friends, so please keep her family in your prayers.
Baby Rhys ~ born 16 weeks premature he is fighting like our little chunky monkey had to. Please pray for Rhys’ lungs, PDA valve and his head scans. He is just beginning his journey down the road in the NICU and he could use all of our prayers and support!

Also, please keep our family in your prayers as we venture off to Florida this weekend. We will return with tons of pictures and great tans…hopefully!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I will be praying for you guys this weekend. Have a wonderful trip. Ryan's previous employer was based out of Jacksonville, FL. Two years in a row, we combined business with pleasure and went to Orlando. We're already planning our family trip there in a few years! That helped as we were going through all of the infertility stuff.

I understand your constant worrying. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why you have become such a dear friend to me. Okay, I probably should have written this in an email. I tend to go on and on sometimes.

Anyway, have a GREAT time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kahls!!! We hope your trip went wonderfully. Ellie Grace is getting so big. We enjoy so much seeing her pics and reading your blogs. We pray that you don't have to have surgery again and for you to be able to leave all of your fears in God's hands. "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."(Matthew 6:34) Worrying is in a mother/wife/daughter's blood, but with lots of prayer and lots of support, we can worry a little less about the things we can't control. We love ya'll. Hope to see you soon!!