Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Detoxing

Oh, the fun has begun! I am a week into our IVF process and tomorrow the shots begin. The last few days have included night sweats and a few nightmares. Yesterday, I woke up absolutely burning up. I came into the office to get started on some work and enjoy my morning cup of coffee and as I worked it seemed to get warmer and warmer. I remember our first round of IVF when I would just break into a full hot flash and it wasn’t fun! I got up to take a shower and it seemed that our whole house was hot to me. We are warm natured to begin with and our AC is usually set in the very low 70’s. I went to check the thermostat and it was 77 in our house! Something was terribly wrong…and it wasn’t my hormone levels! It turns out that we had a little AC issue, but no worries we had a man come out and fix it! Phew!!!

I visited my doctor yesterday for the consult about my IVF calendar. I had totally forgotten about ALL OF THE MEDS that accompany the harvesting process. Antibiotics, steroids, shots (up to 4/day for about a week), pills…YUCK! Our insurance doesn’t pay for any of our medication, which can cost upwards of $4000 for one IVF cycle. That is a little overwhelming, so we are taking it one medication at a time and doing a ton of research to find the most affordable options. For our last IVF cycle I was only on one FSH medication (Gonal-F) this time I am taking Follistim and Menopur in combination. These meds are FSH/LH that help stimulate ovarian production and we are praying that they help create a lot of follicles that are filled with healthy eggs. Tomorrow I start Lupron…the worst medication in my book! It basically puts your body into a temporary state of menopause! So, today B asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner with friends this weekend and this was my response:
No, thank you! I will be going into menopause and you won’t want to hang out with me…let alone any of our friends!

Really, it’s not that bad. I do feel very hot and bloated on the medication which is more uncomfortable than it is painful. All of which are a VERY SMALL price to pay in the end. Our goal is 20 eggs this time. I did check and last IVF round we had 13 eggs and all 13 fertilized. I know with relaxation and faith we can do it!

I decided to check out what my good friend The Internet said about caffeine consumption and IVF…not good results! I heart my morning cup of coffee and it seems as if we are going to have to take a break from each other! I found this article and it was all I needed to read to make my decision. So, no fantastic glass of red wine with dinner and no pick me up cup of coffee in the morning. Cold turkey detox in our house! B is in for a fun few weeks!

Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Blessings,
Angie

2 comments:

Amy said...

Love the pics especially the ones of you guys on date night! You guys look amazing and are very happy. That warms my heart my friend! Now as for giving up the caffeine....you can do it. It will be a year ago on Sept 14th that I last had caffeine! If I can give it up the girl who was addicted to Diet Coke, you can do it too! Just buy decaf tea and coffee, I promise after a few weeks you won't be able to tell the difference. Good luck and we are praying like crazy over here. Talk to you soon and we have to plan dinner or something soon! Love YA!

Lance and Mindi said...

Hey Ang!!! I have been meaning to email you. I just checked your blog and see you guys are very busy these days. You all look great and make a beautiful family. I will continue to pray for you all. We would love to hang out with you all soon. Call me when you can. Love, Mindi