Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Monday, September 28, 2009

What faith can do

It’s amazing what faith can do…almost as amazing as what we can do with faith.

I love the song “What Faith Can Do” by Kutless and it is the inspiration behind my post today. It is uplifting and it reminds me that it is ALL possible just as long as we keep believing.

Silent prayers get answered with faith. Like the ones I prayed about my FEV1 numbers. Last Wednesday at my CF clinic I shocked myself and my doctor and nurse with my FEV1. It is up 8 points…above where it was when I started my CF clinic visits! I was scared to death after my last visit (and the significant drop). I was even more determined to live healthy and set an example for Ellie after we got her diagnosis. So, the silent prayers that I said for weeks were answered last Wednesday.

You can overcome the odds with faith. Yes, we started our IVF process a few weeks ago. First, with pills, then we added Lupron to suppress my reproductive system, but it wasn’t until the results came in from my first ultrasound and blood work last Thursday that we actually got clearance to start the “real” IVF meds. We overcame a preterm multiple pregnancy, the death of our precious little boy and a CF diagnosis for both Ellie and me all within the last three years. We overcame the odds and survived all of it…with faith. (and some AMAZING doctors!)

With faith, impossible is not a word. I can’t tell you how IMPOSSIBLE I thought it would be to bring Ellie in for her first haircut…unfathomable! Well, we did it! Last Saturday we brought Ellie into Sweet and Sassy to have her first princess spa day. She got a princess lollipop, watched a movie and without any tears Brandon and I watched as a very talented stylist made our baby look like a big girl. Oh, what a moment…and she looks beautiful!

With faith, you have hope that never ends. All weekend as I could feel my ovaries getting larger, I had hope that the Follistim and Menopur were doing their job. That this time I would have a ton of follicles that would contain good quality eggs and that we will have options to choose the best embryos in the end. Well, today was the first step in that direction. I had my first ultrasound today (day 4 of stimulation meds) and I have 17 follicles so far. I have 7 measurable (ranging from 10mm-15mm) and 10 small (<10mm). I still have 7 days of stim meds left. They anticipate several more small follicles to pop up and we expect for the smalls to grow and mature. A follicle should be about 18mm to be considered mature and NOT all follicles contain an egg. So, the point is to get the most mature follicles by next Monday that we can and to HOPE AND PRAY that most of them contain eggs. I asked the nurse what her opinion was of the results today and she said, “they are better than we expected for day 4.” Good news!!! I’ll take it!

We have had a great week. I feel great despite the bruises in my tummy and the knots in my leg from the shots. I have tried to overcome my fear of the blood draws, but my uncooperative veins make it very hard! (Yes, I even picture myself holding a sweet little baby to help relax!) After the u/s today they needed to draw blood. So, like a good little patient I sat in the blood draw chair and put on my brave face. Then she stuck me…and dug…and dug…and dug until I thought I was going to be sick! Then she thought she could get it in the other arm. So, she stuck me and dug…and dug…and dug. By that time I am sure my face was pale and I was clammy. She thought about taking it from the top of my hand (I wasn’t going to let her) and then decided to just send me to the lab…what a novel idea!!! As I was checking out I noticed a book titled “Phlebotomy” I am TOTALLY CONVINCED it belongs to the sweet little nurse that made me her practice pin cushion! Only me!!! After three needles, the actual phlebotomist found my vein and drew blood all within 20 seconds!

My next visit is on Wednesday. I am hopeful that my body will continue to cooperate and I am excited about the results. Next Thursday is our retrieval day!!! Your continued prayers for our physical and emotional strength are much appreciated!

Blessings,
Angie

2 comments:

Amy said...

Praying like crazy my friend! Let me know if you are up for a bike ride tomorrow! Love ya!

Alli said...

I'm so glad you got great news!!! You have one amazing story to share with your babies when they grow up:) Praying for tons of healthy egss!!!!!!!!!!!