Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The news

I have been waiting and watching the clock all day for the news on our little follies! My nurse usually calls mid day to give me a report and to tell me what to do about my meds…increase, decrease or stay the same. The sweet nurse at the satellite office offered to take my blood again today and I politely declined and offered to drive out of my way to the very germ infested lab down the street…where they know what they are doing.

So, finally at about 4:45 my nurse called and asked if I did indeed go to the lab and have blood drawn. Ummm, YES! (and, I have another blown vein and needle mark to prove it!) She called the lab and they didn’t have any lab results for me…WHAT? How do you lose a person’s blood results. If you will recall ~ the same lab lost B’s blood more than once during the whole CF screen fiasco. It infuriates me b/c the doctor uses my estradiol levels to determine if I am on the correct dosage of meds. Not to mention, I have done loads of research on Estradiol levels/stimulation day and I was waiting to see what mine would be today. UGH! Stupid lab! (relax…breath…and picture yourself holding a sweet little baby…ahhhh…)

So, onto the other news. It’s getting crowded in those little ovaries; well maybe I should say those big ovaries. We have 10 measurable follies on the right ranging from 12mm-15mm (which doesn’t make sense b/c we had a 15 on Monday…I am assuming a little human error in calculation) and we have 6 measurable on the left ranging from 12mm-15mm. In addition, we have 3 smalls that were able to be seen on ultrasound. So, right now we have 16 measurables and we still have 5 nights of shots left, basically we are half way through. Typically, a follicle will grow 1-2mm/day, so we should have some very good sized follies. I asked today what the percentage of was of follicles that actually contain eggs. I have read that most follies that are at least 18mm probably contain a mature egg, but the nurse said 70-80% will have an egg. She also said that my Dr. is very aggressive about getting the egg out of the follicle. There is an embryologist waiting on the day of retrieval to look at the fluid from every follicle and make sure the dr. does actually get the egg out. So, if were to go in for retrieval tomorrow with the 16 follies we have now we should get 12.8 eggs…I am feeling positive so let’s say 13! Not bad for a 31 year old “advanced maternal age” mom with CF! I am feeling good about having at least 15 eggs…remember their target number is 20. With 5 days left anything is possible! Also, because I am so terribly anal I am going to ask to see my chart from my last IVF cycle so I can see exactly how many follies I had right before retrieval.

So, on Friday I have decided to skip the satellite office and go straight to the “real” office. The down side is that my doctor will actually be at the satellite office on Friday…dang! It doesn’t really matter though b/c I will still be on meds through the weekend and I have to go back in on Monday, so I can just see him then. My nurse is AWESOME and she can answer any question I would ask him anyway. I am just a little disappointed though b/c I was looking forward to getting his opinion about how this stimulation cycle was going…

I still feel great. Bloated and very tired, but I feel positive and happy. Tomorrow means only 7 days until retrieval, 13 days until transplant and 23 days until pregnancy test. YEA!!!

Thank you to all of you that have our family in your prayers. Your support and encouraging words are such an inspiration to us and a reminder to keep our hearts focused.

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.


Blessings,
Angie

1 comment:

Candice said...

Holy moly friend, you are in a better mood than I'd be with near to busting ovaries. When I had 8 measurable and a few hangers-on I was miserable. All for a good cause of course. I'm hopeful this yields exactly what you need it to! I'm thinking of you often. :) <3 ya, Candice