Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It was one of “those”days…

Ellie has been sick lately.  Not your typical runny nose, sore throat kind of sick, but a crying, gagging, multiple times in the bathroom, tummy hurts kind of sick.

We brought this up in CF clinic last Friday and her complaints coupled with a weight loss got the attention of her pulmonologist.  We decided to start out with a few minor tests and go from there.

Until this past weekend happened.  Ellie’s appetite is a very small fraction of what it typically is.  I can tell she is so hungry, but then she just gets this fearful look on her face and tells me that she just can’t eat because her tummy is hurting her so bad. 

On Saturday, she started crying in a restaurant because she was so afraid to eat.  That was enough for me.  No small tests and waiting around for this mommy.  Our pedi was out of town until today, but she is worth the wait so we decided to just go in at her first open spot at 11am. 

I’m not going to lie.  I had that “mom” feeling about this.  I know my Ellie and she is not one to complain just for the sake of complaining.  She was in true pain and I was honestly scared to death.

The day started with weather like this ~ and didn’t get better from there!badday1

We got in right away and our doctor was not thrilled with Ellie’s symptoms.  She decided not to waste any time and sent us straight to the hospital across the street(a very busy, main street in the Houston medical center) for x-rays. 

This little guy was OVER it from the beginning, so he got a little box of pringles to enhance his mood.badday2

After we were registered and admitted we waited…and waited…and waited to be called back.  This little beauty was just as excited as she could be to take x-rays because, “They are SO fun!”

badday3badday6

She did look at me while we were in the waiting room and said, “Mommy, why did we leave the doctor.  You said she was going to fix me and my tummy is still hurting ~ it’s not fixed!”

After the x-rays we had to dodge traffic back across the main street in pouring rain.  Oh, and my umbrella was in my car that was valet parked!  So, with one in a stroller and one with a death grip on my hand we bolted…and my white pants will never be the same again after the dirty streets of Houston were splashed all over them!

Here is my little guy in his soaking wet stroller!  He looks thrilled!!!

badday4

As soon as I heard the words “no known obstruction” I took a HUGE deep breath and relaxed for the first time in 24 hours. 

badday7

It seems that for MONTHS (yes, our pedi was shocked) our baby has not been clearing her intestines.  She has never been blocked up so much so that she stopped stooling, so how this happened is beyond me.  However, it is nothing that we can’t fix and that is a huge blessing to us!  She will be on miralax twice daily for a few months and we will watch her bowels closely.  I have to put this in here because it is just plain funny.  Our pedi is great and has a fantastic sense of humor!  She looked at me when she came back in the room and said, “Well, Ellie is just FOS”  it took me a quick second to figure out what she meant.  As soon as I did I just laughed hysterically!  Thank goodness she knows how to lighten the mood!

We were off and this was our first stop:

badday5

Momma needed a vanilla cone for 4 weight watchers points after all that drama!  Just because I thought I’d end the day on an exciting note I decided to give Cullen the BBQ sauce with his nuggets for the first time and he had a high time bathing in it the entire 45 minutes it took me to get to the grocery store!  Just an ordinary Tuesday in our world folks.

Ellie,

You were such a big girl today.  I am so proud of you and the way you are able to express yourself to adults.  You have grown to accept your medical issues with such grace and I am amazed by your strength daily.  Daddy and I love you sweet girl.

No comments: