Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Monday, June 13, 2011

Cullen’s First Birthday

On June 4th our little boy turned ONE YEAR OLD!  I truly can’t believe that an entire year has passed since I held that tiny (full term) baby in my arms…and carried him while we were wheeled out of the hospital together. 

1 yrcheck1 yrcheck2

(One year doctor visit)

Dear Cullen,

Your birth was a dream come true for me.  Further proof that God has amazing plans for all of us in His own time…you are proof of His supernatural grace. 

aqu3aqu1aqu2

(Aquarium visit, June 3rd dinner before dress rehearsal)

Your first year of life has been full of changes and it was a blessing to be here with you every day to see them. 

bathing suit

(Trying on last year’s bathing suit…funny!)

Your first smile melted my heart.  I remember the day like it was yesterday. 

Rolling over, sitting up, crawling and those first steps all brought tears to my eyes. 

You started cutting your teeth at 5 months and WOW that was no fun for any of us!

You gained weight so fast in the first 6 months (19 lbs) that we thought you may be a little chunk by 12 months, but you slowed your roll and ended the first year weighing 22.6 lbs. 

bday cake

(The blue birthday cake that daddy picked out)

Some of my favorite moments with you are the quiet times when Ellie is sleeping and Daddy is at work and I can just snuggle you.  At a year old you still love mommy to snuggle you!

You have a favorite blanky and I love it when you try to carry it with you around the house…it is a lot bigger than you are!

You love our doggie Bo!  You think all dogs are named Bo!!!  He lets you pat him, kiss his ears and sometimes (when I’m not looking) you even try to ride him.  He’s not such a fan of that!

blanky

(The boy and his blanket)

You do not like strangers and you have an awful look that you give to anyone that says “HI” to you.  It’s embarrassing, but deep inside I think it is hilarious!  You have such a strong attitude!

You do this funny thing where you take off running in the house and you put both of your arms behind you.  If we tell you to stop and come back…you run faster…and laugh while you defy us!  

box

(Triumph!!!)

You have been fascinated with balls since you started playing with toys.  Ball was one of your first words and you have known how to throw and “catch” since you were about 7 months old.  Now you love to kick the ball outside or through the house.  I can’t wait to see what you love doing when you get a little older…sports would be my guess.

At one year old you refuse to let us feed you.  It’s annoying (for us), but I am so happy that you are learning so much SO FAST!   You know how to use a fork and spoon correctly and if we give them to you during a meal you will not use your hands at all. 

You are a great eater.  Last night, you ate steak, potatoes and corn for dinner!  Just like a little man!!  You have dropped into the 40% as far as weight in concerned and you are only in the 38% BMI, so gaining a few pounds has become your job.  We started giving you the baby food desserts/fruits mixed with cereal and you really like them. 

You have been drinking from a sippy cup since you were 5 months old.  You have never had water or juice from a bottle.  I am so happy that you love your cups so much!  We just gave you soy milk last week for the first time and you basically took a sip and that was it!  I think if it were an emergency you would take it, but you were definitely not a huge fan.

tablevroom

(T-ball and playing race car)

You love to read books and right now Clifford is your favorite!  Your first favorite book was a non-fiction about dolphins and then you changed to a book about trains. 

cullen

(Our little guy)

Funny story about your birthday weekend: Last year, we (I) decided to have you on Friday, June 4th.  Why?  Because I was contracting every 3-6 minutes and I was selfish…I wanted to see you!  However, this meant that we would be having you the very day of Ellie’s first ballet recital dress rehearsal.  We thought this wouldn’t matter and that the grandma’s would still take Ellie to her recital.  It didn’t work like that!  They wanted to see you, I wanted to see her and so, we scrapped the whole recital.  Come to find out…this year the recital was on the same weekend and the SAME day as your birthday.  So, my little man, forgive us, but we decided to leave you with Blakely and go to Ellie’s recital on your special day.  I know you will never remember, but I still feel a little guilt for doing that!  We made up for it with an obnoxious blue cake and I promise a fun party with your “friends” in a few weeks.

hair#4

(Haircut #4)

Cullen, you are a miracle to us.  Your daddy and I love you more than words are even capable of expressing.  You bring immeasurable joy to every single person in this family.  Your smile and bright, soulful eyes are a daily reminder of the millions of prayers we sent up before being blessed with you. 

I am in love with every inch of you, Cullen Spencer Kahl!

 

I love you with all of my heart forever and ever,

Mommy 

1 comment:

Jenna said...

hI
my name is Jenna and i came across your site. Ur site is amazing and so are you and your kids.

A Message For You, Their Mommy: U are a wonderful amazing, special person an woman. U are a great loving and special mom, and an inspirational hero.

Ur daughter: She is an amazing, special, and precious gift. She is a beautiful, Earthly Angel. She is a courageous, strong and determined fighter. She a brave warrior, smilen champ, inspirational hero.

Ur son, is a precious and special gift. He is a courageous, strong, and determined fighter. He is a handsome Earthly Angel. Brave warrior, smilen champ, super trooper and a real inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease and i love it that people sign my guestbook. www.miraclecahmp.webs.com