Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Friday, June 17, 2011

Ellie’s first ballet recital

Our precious prima ballerina had her first ballet recital at the Cullen theatre (really!) in Houston at The Worthem Center.

It was…like something I have never experienced!

Those moms are serious about their dance!!!  And to say I was a little unprepared for the “seriousness” is a gross understatement!

I’m not going to get into the gory details, but I will say that I had to put together a ballet recital notebook just to feel like I was as “up to par” as the other mommy’s in the class! 

I signed up to be a room mom basically, because I felt like I needed to keep a close eye on Ellie and what germs she was exposed to.  Cullen was still being treated with TOBI and I didn’t want Ellie to accidently be paired up with or in a confined space with anyone that sounded like they may be hosting a respiratory infection. 

So, when I say this ballet thing is serious, I mean so serious that we had dress rehearsal on Friday until 9pm, we stayed in a hotel and then we had to be back at the theatre on Saturday morning at 10:30.

I thought it was all NUTS, but then when I saw my little girl’s face light up on that big stage (the same one the Houston ballet dances on) I knew it was all worth it.

I had to step back and remind myself that even though I thought it was all a little overkill, it was not about me.  Ellie had the time of her life!!!

A condensed version of the fun filled two days:

Hair professionally done on the way to dress rehearsal

1hair

Dinner at the aquarium on Friday

1dinner

Check-in at the hotel

Make-up on and off to DR

1makeup

Play with friends in the dressing room and wait to step onto the big stage.

Dance on stage at the Cullen theatre

1DR1DR2

Back to the hotel with one of her BFF’s Gracie

1movie

Room service after DR

Woke up on Saturday and got our hair and makeup done with Gracie

Off to The Worthem Center to dance!!

Daddy met us in the Lobby with flowers for our little ballerina!

Ellie had a magical day and I think I am now ready to embrace the ballet world with our little miracle!

I have to write this down because it is a moment I never want to forget.  When Ellie was born all of the stereotypical dreams flew out of the window and the only prayer I had was that she would live.  When they discharged her after only 6 weeks in the hospital I was grateful because I never expected that to happen.  When Ellie began to walk, talk, eat, play, laugh, dream, display affection, show interest in activities, it made my heart swell with gratitude.  I have never EXPECTED Ellie to do anything, but for every single milestone that she reaches I am thankful to our God.  When Ellie stepped onto that stage and danced in front of hundreds of people I was proud.  I cried.  A LOT.  I think every tear that came out of my eyes was out of thanks…it was the first time I ever watched my little girl do something that I dreamed about her being able to do one day.  There were days I didn’t think I would ever be in the position to watch my baby girl dance.  That dance was a beautiful moment in our lives.  

I am so proud of you Ellie Grace!  You were a true ballerina on June 4th and I can’t wait to watch you dance every day for the rest of my life.

With all of my heart forever and ever,

Mommy

1 comment:

Courtney Biggs said...

I remember my first ballet recital. It was very exciting. That and I got to wear makeup. I was dressed in a red leotard and wearing a grass skirt with a fake leis on my forehead and my ankle. Very exciting! She looks beautiful.