Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

102.7...NOT a radio station

102.7…no, that’s not my favorite radio station here in Houston…it was Ellie’s temperature tonight after her bath.

“I thought Ellie was feeling better?” you ask.

“I THOUGHT SHE WAS TOO!!!” I answer.

What is going on with my baby girl? Does God understand how excruciating it is for me to worry about her being sick? Of course He does…so, what is the lesson I am supposed to be learning from all of this? Obviously, I realize that is something I will have to figure out ~ in all of my spare time.

So, here it is midnight. I am already sleep deprived (my own fault) b/c I stayed up until almost midnight reading The Shack and Ellie woke up at the crack of dawn b/c she fell asleep at 7:00 on Sunday night. I had a million orders to complete today, so I worked from 9 am until 8:00 tonight…taking the obvious breaks in between to take care of Ellie and make dinner. Imagine my shock, when I picked Ellie up at 8:30 to rock her and she was burning up. I thought it was because she was wearing a long sleeved night gown and running around like a crazy lady. About ten minutes later she was still warm ~ really warm, so I decided to take her temp.

94.4…97…99…101…102…102.7…WHAT!!! With panic in my voice I tell Brandon that we need to prepare to take Ellie to the emergency clinic. He looks at me like I have lost my mind. I mean, Ellie is running around the house NOT acting like a child who is running almost 103 degree fever. Instead, we give Tylenol and call the doctor. He gives us instructions to follow and if her temp doesn’t decrease after Tylenol and Motrin we need to go to the ER. What a long wait it is in between those meds. Two hours after the first temp check her fever is down to 100.1. However, as we sit in bed (yes, she is still awake at 12:10 am) I can feel her body getting warmer. I am watching the minutes tick by slowly until I can give her the next round of Tylenol at 1:30 am…

If I wasn’t so exhausted and petrified I would be reading my book b/c I am so anxious to finish it…oh, well…it can wait until tomorrow.

Please keep our little angel in your prayers as she (we) battles this infection that is attacking her little body. I can only pray that this fear I have over Ellie being sick will lessen as times goes on.

Also, there is a sweet little angel that has been in my prayers for the last few weeks. Cora Paige was a beautiful 10 month old little angel who was diagnosed with cancer about three weeks ago. After putting up a courageous fight she went to join Jesus yesterday. I read the news this morning with tears sliding down my cheeks. Immediately, I tried to think of something to do for this family. However, having been in their shoes I know that there is nothing that I can do to ease any of their pain. Please keep this young family in your prayers as they gather all of their faith and strength to bury their only child tomorrow.

I will update tomorrow morning…after my sleepless and hopefully uneventful night…and after our trip to the doctor.

Blessings,
Angie

4 comments:

Cara said...

Poor baby Ellie! Praying for her to get better soon!

I'm reading The Shack right now too! :)

The Lyons Family said...

Poor baby!!! And poor Mommy!!! I hope she's feeling better VERY soon - she's gotta be ready to go if some handsome feller asks to take her out for Valentine's Day! :) j/k Hang in there, girl - these are the times that try men's souls! Get some rest yourself and just love on that precious girl. Happy Valentine's Day! Love ya!

Jodi said...

How is she feeling today? I hope to find out good news. Another of our preemie friends (Conner) is sick right now in the hosptial because he hasn't ketp anything down for days. I wasn't prepared to find out that Ellie is under the weather as well. I know my day of Olivia getting sick is coming and I'm dreading it with all that I have.

Maddie Dean Photography said...

I stumbled upon your blog this morning and have spend the last hour reading about your lives. My first daughter was born at 26 weeks as well, but the Lord had other plans for us as she only lived on this earth a few hours. I hope Ellie gets better soon - we have an infant getting over a fever and I know it makes mama's day (and night!) tough!