Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Overwhelmed...overly tired and overly stressed!

I am going to preface this blog with the fact that I have had a tough two days. It might be because I have spent the last 168 hours worried about why my child still has a fever. Maybe the two trips to the hospital and two trips to the doctor in that time have me a little on edge. Or maybe it’s just that I am weak and fed up…(although you will never actually get me to admit that out loud)

Six months ago, when Brandon and I started talking about REALLY doing our IVF I thought we would be pregnant by now. This little CF diagnosis really put a hitch in my giddy up. After the diagnosis, I knew we had to wait and see what Brandon’s genetic results were. I thought we were in the clear when they discovered he wasn’t a carrier of the most common mutations. I felt like I had made some progress up the mountain of life until my appointment last week. In one short conversation with my doctor all of my confidence with the progress we had made in our fertility battle was shattered. I really don’t think it hit me until yesterday. I am still waiting…and praying…and hoping. I hate the fact that just one thing in my life can’t be easy (not a handout, but not a war either). I feel like I was born on an alternate planet…you know the one where women can’t get pregnant AT ALL. Somehow, I was transported to this “Fertile Mertile” planet to be tortured for all eternity. Some days I don’t worry about being an alien on this planet, but other days I feel like a total outcast. The last two days have obviously been outcast days.

I’m just frustrated. I am VERY frustrated as a matter of fact. Any woman who has dealt with infertility, CF, cancer (or any other disease for that matter) knows what I am talking about. The total lack of control over your body… the helpless feeling you have constantly; it would make anyone feel this way. I just feel like I need a break.

I am grateful for Ellie. I am grateful for the opportunity to have carried Bennett and Ellie even if it was cut short by three months. However, that does not fill my desire to have more children. Is it possible that God would have given me this intense maternal instinct if it was His plan to only give us one child to raise? My faith in His plan is what kept me going through the fertility treatments for YEARS. I never felt defeated. I never felt like giving up. I never complained. I just knew that it was His intention for me to keep going…I always knew deep in my heart I was doing the right thing. I had the same peaceful feeling when it came to deciding whether or not to use our frozen embryos. However, all of the road blocks are making me question myself and my faith in our decision. If you were to ask me what my heart says, I would tell you that I am supposed to keep going. That eventually we will have more children. If you were to ask me what my head is saying, I would say I don’t know.

I am overwhelmed and I need to refocus. I need to be patient. I need to have faith. I needed to vent!

News from the doctor yesterday: Ellie has a chest cold. She was still running low grade fever last night. We are still on Tylenol as needed and cough medicine every 4 hours. We had to cancel Ellie’s gymnastics lessons indefinitely and our pediatrician recommended that we avoid any such classes until around April (end of flu/RSV season). He did say that Ellie is an example of a preemie that was obviously protected by my immunities from breast milk for her first two years of life. She is now exhibiting the common “compromised preemie immune system” issues. Just when I thought we could relax a little…story of my life!

Happy Tuesday!
Angie

8 comments:

The Lyons Family said...

Isn't it great to have a place to share your struggles & frustrations? I'm so glad you do so we know how to pray for you!

"Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and do not lean on your own understandings. In ALL your ways, acknowledge Him and HE WILL make your paths straight!"

A promise from the Lord, who knows the deepest desires of your heart, Angie Kahl! "When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart." He has nothing but the best for you, and I am confident He will bring it to fruition in His perfect timing.

Your "alien" life is such a testimony to the miraculous workings of our Lord. Your story proves time and again, through all of these trials, that He accomplishes His perfect will through those who allow Him to. Your victories are His victories, not because of your strength, but by His strength through you! Your pain is His pain, and I know He aches WITH you as you walk through these valleys.

Keep the faith, Sister!!! God is using your life to show His love, mercy and grace to others. I have no doubt there are new brothers & sisters in Christ as a result of your shining example! And YOU, Missy, are gonna have some seriously gorgeous crowns to lay at the feet of Jesus after all of this!!! :) Love you, Girl!

Heidi said...

I am sorry you are having a hard time. I struggle everyday with the fact that I can't have children. After my transplant, Matt and I decided that I would have a tubal because I was having HUGE problems with birth control. I was unable to find a method that worked without spiking my blood pressure. we knew that if I got pregnant, It would be a very very dangerous road for myself and the baby. It was a hard decision. A very hard decision. The tubal was in 04. More recently I have been thinking how crappy it is that I am put in this situation, and I can't have kids. Not a day goes by, especially lately, when i don't think about it. it's hard. Life is crappy sometimes. Nothing I can do about it though. The statistics of women post-lung transplant having babies are BAD. For both mom and baby, since mom has to stop anti-rejection drugs. Of course I have thought about using a surrogage. But, it's way too expensive and my husband doesn't have his heart in it. I am so afraid that if we had a baby, or even adopted a baby/child, that something might happen to me, and he would be left alone to raise a child. I still feel very torn, and it's frustrating, so even though I haven't had any children, I understand where you are coming from. You probably haven't given yourself time to grieve over finding out about the CF. Life takes these turns, and sometimes it takes us a while to catch up.
Hang in there

Anonymous said...

Angie - I know what you mean about feeling like an outsider because the world around you is pregnant and you aren't. You and I have always shared that. I will keep praying about it for you and pray that you find some clarity and that you find the path you are indeed ment to travel. Keep me posted on little miss Ellie and and on B's results. I still have something special I want to walk across the street with but with Ellie being sick, I haven't wanted to. If you need anything please let Chris and I know we will be happy to help. Keep faith in God as you always have and you will definitely find your way, His way. Love and God Bless - Amy

Elizabeth Singletary said...

I am so sorry to hear things aren't going well, and even though I don't understand what you're going through, I hope you know I am ALWAYS here for you. You are an amazing women and friend. I know you feel defeated, but stay strong in your faith, and God will show you the way. You and Brandon are in our prayers and we miss you both. Keep me posted on sweet Ellie...I hope she gets better soon!

The Lyons Family said...

Oh, girl - it's nothing. I just ask God to "give me words to speak" (have you heard that song? LOVE it!!!)...words that will bring you comfort, peace, hope...words that "give you a hope and a future." They're SOOOO NOT my words, though. That's all God!

And the scripture doesn't always come easy. It's usually little tidbits that God places on my heart that I then take to Google and say, "Please help me find this verse!" :) Shoot, if my memory was that good, you'd think I'd be able to remember where I put my cell phone!!!

I just love ya, girl! And I want you to know it! I wish we were closer or that we'd known each other better when I was there. {sigh} Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I suppose! :)

BIG hugs to you and the fam!

And thank you for your prayers for us - I'll let you know as soon as we know something. Should be in a few weeks.

Love, Jenn :)

Somer Love said...

I totally know how ya feel as an outsider that brunch that I went to with about 15 girls... Yeah all moms and 3 were prego and they talked about being pregnant and having kids the whole time. Down to diapers and pre natal vitamins...

Of course I had to interject with a pug story now and then :)

Keep your chin up!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

I'm sorry you've had such a lousy time lately. Sick kids are so stressful for us mommas! I'm sorry for the infirtility holding pattern, I can't imagine how you've been feeling. I feel the same way about wanting more kids, I especially long for a baby girl, even though I love my boys like crazy. We don't have any frozens so I dread the thought of having to do a fresh cycle again. It would be worth it of course.

Too funny that B came up here to BCS! Next time you and E must come too!!

Hang in there girl!

Anonymous said...

"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalms 34:18. It still amazes me everytime I think of the people God has placed in my life to get me through certain situations. Please know that we are praying for you, Brandon, and sweet EllieGrace. I truly don't think anyone could have said it better than Jenn!!!