Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Friday, February 20, 2009

Doctor update

Okay, so I had a bit of a nervous CF moment this morning that prompted me to call my doctor (aside from the fact that I feel like I have been run over by a tank). I was clearing some mucus from my head (gross…I know), spit in my sink and there were a few streaks of brown in it. YIKES! For me (a mere beginner to the CF world) that was scary...but, I was sure it had something to do with the gallons of drainage I have been experiencing for the last few days.

When my nurse called back she assured me that I had made the right decision by calling her. She put a call into the doctor and I just got a call from them that they called in few prescriptions for me. She is pretty sure this is just a nasty sinus infection (not uncommon for CF’s to get) I am no stranger to them, so it’s nothing I can’t handle.

I have had the streaks in the mucus before, but it was before I was diagnosed with CF. It took on a whole new meaning this morning! I am sure these meds will fix me right up and I will be keeping up with Ellie by the end of the weekend. (Hopefully!)

Thanks for the advice Christy, Somer and Heidi! It is so wonderful to have such a great support system.

Also, Amy (I haven’t forgotten to stop by ) reminded me that I never posted about my brother’s results. He was tested and does NOT have CF…he isn’t a carrier either!!! What luck! I was so happy to get the news and he was even happier to point out that he was not following in my footsteps ~ for once!

Pray for great antibiotics!!!

UPDATE: The nurse couldn’t get my doctor on the phone b/c she was flying somewhere… So, the nurse chose Amoxil because I have been on it for sinus infections in the past and it works. I can breath through my nose as I type and that is an upgrade from 12 hours ago. I also have a prescription nose spray and a sinus rinse solution. Apparently, I am going to be doing a lot of irrigating up there!  Question for my Cysters (do I qualify to be a cyster?) when you get this kind of infection where you are tired and blah is it normal to be out of breath or feel the need to take very deep breaths occasionally? I might be paranoid, but I just feel like there is a lot of pressure in my chest cavity when I take a deep breath in. Who knows…

8 comments:

Heidi said...

I hope whatever they wrote for you knocks this thing out. They probably wrote you for Cipro, or Levaquin. Those are very common drugs used in CF when pseduomonos is present (though we don't know if this is the case with you, but if it is, its normal...it isn't great...but normal). Also, those drugs are pretty wide-spectrum so whatever bug you have, it should get it. My mom always used to say "cough that junk out"...actually when I was about 3-5 years old, I used to get a nickel for every time I actually coughed into the tissue. They were trying to teach me (ewww) not to swallow it!

Anyway, I will be looking for a report soon that says you are feeling better. Let us know what they put you on, us CF'ers have tried most of it!!

Hang in there, we are thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of prayers that the antibiotics kick in soon!

Jessica Kirkland said...

Touched by your story. Praying for your family.

Somer Love said...

Ang... My cysta!!

You definitely qualify! I am glad you called the doc and got on something and so glad it already seems to be working! Nothing better then a sinus irrigation! I love those. My favorite thing is to plug the sink when I do it just to see how well it's working :) I know gross and TMI! But that's part of the sisterhood! I too was taught at a very early age to cough it up and out!! So good job and spitting it out!

Heidi a nickel.... LUCKY!!!

I am glad to hear about your bro! That is awesome news!

XOXO!

Heidi said...

Somer, you crack me up about plugging the sink! LOL! Yes, If I continued to get a nickel for every "cough up" I would be RICH!!!! RICH I TELL YA!

My parents were smart trying to get me to cough it out instead of swallow it, I used to get wicked stomach aches...ewww TMI

Heidi said...

Yes, you qualify as a CYSTA!!! I didn't see your update before I posted last.

Are you coughing anything up? Remember, if you have a sinus infection, that gunk drains into your lungs. So, if you have a bug in your sinuses (pseudomonos or otherwise) it will probably end up in your lungs. Chronic sinusitis is a major problem with CF. It is something some of us suffer from pretty bad, and others aren't that bad. I've had 5 sinus surgeries, and they really help. Ohh i'm off on a tangent...

Yes, I would say it's normal to feel a little short of breath, because you may have the bug in your lungs too. But, don't worry i'm sure the antibiotic will get it. Plus, the sinus rinses will help a lot, try to keep them up when you are healthy too. My costco carries the sinus rinse packets (I think a box of 100) and it's like 10 bucks instead of 13-14

Hang in there and keep us updated. When is your next appointment? I know you have a CT scheduled. have they taken any cultures (did you spit in a cup, or did they swab your nose/throat?). The cultures will help decide what meds will work best.

Hang in there. Cough it up, i'll give you a nickel!

Heidi said...

HAHA! We are definitly open about our boggers and the crap we cough up. It's disgusting really! LOL!

I hope you have fun at Legally Blonde, i'm sure it will be fun!

I would definitly call the doc for a stronger med. If it is pseudomonos, you'll need a cipro, levaquin, or something strong. Also, though, systemic antibiotics don't penetrate into the sinuses as well, so sometimes it takes a week or more to feel better (sorry..I know it sucks).

Keep us posted, hope you feel better and Miss Ellie feels better too. The crud that has been going around is so awful this year!

Anonymous said...

Ang - So glad to hear you are on the road to feeling better and I am so glad to hear that Dave is in the clear. That is a blessing for sure! What about Ellie....is she finally on the road to recovery? Chris is out of town all week so its just me and the 4 legged babies. Talk to you soon! Love Ya! Amy