Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A HUGE honor…

As all of you know, Brandon and I are HUGE supporters of the March of Dimes and we are blessed with friends and family that have become just as dedicated.

 

My relationship with the march of dimes actually began as a young girl.  My dad was a partner at the time with a large corporation that supported the march of dimes each year.  I have vivid memories of wearing his team shirt and struggling sailing though the very long walk year after year.  I always loved the snacks along the walk path and the lunch his company provided at the end of the walk…if you know me you know how I LOVE food!!!

 

Now, some 20 years later, (as fate would have it) this organization has become more than a yearly walk, a cool shirt and good food…it has become a part of my family and my life.  It has become a representation of the child we lost, the beautiful little girl that has blessed our lives for the last three years and the son that now sleeps in a crib in our bedroom.  It is forever a part of us.

 

You can imagine how honored I was to receive an invitation to be the spokesperson for the NICU Family Support Program at The Woman’s Hospital of Texas.  The March of Dimes has teamed up with the same hospital that we turned our tragedy into triumph to create a support program for all of the families that will ever face the NICU rollercoaster again. 

 

I am thrilled (and a little nervous) to announce that I will be speaking at the Women’s Hospital of Texas’ annual Labor of Love luncheon.    Coincidentally, my mother and I have participated in this show for the last three years together as vendors at their boutique bazaar!  It is an amazing ladies day out with fantastic shopping, a great lunch and amazing style show!

 

B keeps asking me if I have started preparing my speech and if I am nervous about speaking in front of so many people.  The answers: ummm NO and kind of!  (I hope this doesn’t make the girls at the MOD nervous!!!)

 

I remember when Bennett died, our good friend and youth pastor, Donny, asked me to please have a back up just in case I couldn’t get through my speech at the funeral.  He was shocked when it was over that I 1.) made it through and 2.) Didn’t bawl the entire way through it! 

 

I think this is because I really wanted everyone in that room to hear what Bennett meant to Brandon and me.  I imagined I was just talking to each person in that room one on one and I was telling them from my heart what he meant to me.

I can imagine doing something similar at the luncheon.  Speaking from the heart about what the March of Dimes has meant to our family over the past three and a half years.  Don’t get me wrong…I know I need to prepare an outline and I will write out most of my thoughts just to have them organized!  Who am I kidding…my type A personality will rear its ugly head for sure!!!

 

I am excited to have this opportunity and I owe it all to the girls at the March of Dimes for making it possible!  Over the past few years they have gone from acquaintances to friends.  So, thank you!  I feel blessed to have this opportunity and I pray that I don’t make a complete fool out of myself that day!!!! 

 

The fact that the March of Dimes was such an important part of my life as a child and has become so important to our family now is no coincidence in my eyes…and this scripture sums it all up:

 

All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.

Psalm 139:16

The reason we support the MOD:  our 3 miracles

P1230189P1170101cullen2_thumb   

Blessings,

Angie

1 comment:

Erin said...

This was the first year that I walked for the March of Dimes (in MN). Unfortunately it took a tragedy for me to realize how important this organization is. My sister lost a baby on January 29, 2010. We walked in her honor this year and will continue to participate.
Good luck with your speech. You will do a wonderful job.