Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Saturday, August 4, 2012

On a mission

This past week I have been on a mission to get our classroom ready for the new year. 

We rearranged it this summer, so finding a perfect spot for everything has taken me a little longer than I expected.  Also, I have almost doubled the amount of curriculum and bulletin boards that we had from last year, so this mission has definitely been a challenge!

In addition to buying curriculum, typing out notes from a book study I did, creating excel forms for lesson plans, rewriting worksheets I found on pinterest, I actually attended the state homeschool convention! 

One word to describe my experience: OVERWHELMING! 

I am SO glad I’ve spent the last couple of months researching and prepping for this upcoming year because I at least have most of my curriculum purchased and I could just look around at the other vendors.  I am SO impressed with the home schooling community though.  I can honestly say that I know B and I have made the absolute right decision for our family to home school our kiddos.

I met two other young moms as we waited in line and it did my heart good to be able to actually talk to other moms that have been home schooling and one that was just as worried as I am that she was going to “mess” her kids up!  Like myself, she is also a former public school teacher and I think it is hard to separate yourself from that mind set when it comes to your own kiddos.  I would love to have a support system of other mom’s that home school, but as it is now I am the lone ranger in our group of friends. 

Another HUGE, HUGE blessing that came from the conference was Ellie getting the opportunity to meet and see other kiddos that are homeschooled.  Ellie is still coughing and not at her usual 100%, so I thought this would be a quick trip in and out of the exhibit hall.  I never in a million years expected the number of people attending to be as many as it was when we got there.  There were THOUSANDS of people.  Whole families.  It was AWESOME to see the support these families are to each other and to people around them.  I got down on the floor and told Ellie to look around because all of the kiddos she could see all around her were also home- schooled kids.  Seriously, it gives me chills because her face lit up and she said, “Really!!, They don’t go to public school either??”

It was a much needed moment for both of us.  I know we aren’t alone and Ellie also knows that she is not different.

The teenage girl that checked us in was so unbelievably polite and sweet.  She introduced herself to Ellie and talked to her so sweetly and when we were leaving she told her to have a blessed day.   As a parent, it would be the greatest reward to raise children that turned out that gentle and kind.

All in all, I would say our 2012 THSC conference made a wonderful impression and I look forward to attending next year and actually sitting in on some of the workshops they put on.

I took pictures of the disaster that is our classroom!  I want to be able to look at the finished product and pat myself on the back for how far we have come! 

A few more trips to the office supply, teacher supply and some late nights and we should have a finished product this week. 

Ellie,

I am BEYOND excited for the content of the curriculum you and I will share this school year.  I know you have a heart that loves to learn and be creative and I can’t wait to watch you grow.  We are going to have the absolute best year together!!!

We love our little KINDERGARTNER!!! 

coffee and guided reading go hand in hand!

july2012 066

My late night “helper”.  She considers crafting as helping me organize!

july2012 063july2012 064

This little turkey played around with math manipulatives while momma worked.

july2012 065

This area is a disaster, but I love these new organization rods/bins from IKEA.  We have all of our supplies organized and at our finger tips now.

july2012 062

Disaster area #2 ~ I can’t wait to have this room in order.

july2012 061

No comments: