Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Another one down!

Slowly but surely we are moving closer to our goal!  Only 14 weeks and 5 days to go…no biggie…right?!?!

Last week brought a new set of changes and a few challenges. 

Monday was an awesome day.  I felt “normal” for the first time in weeks because of all the good news we received.  Reality slapped me in the face when I came home from the doctor and had to hop right in bed, but the three hours I was out were fantastic!  I even took a 4 minute walk around the fabric store to see if I could get any cool samples of fabric for Cullen’s nursery…no luck there!  I was feeling so “normal” that in the evening I got out of bed and talked to B while he cleaned the kitchen.  We were still alone because Biddy was recovering from her version of Ellie’s RSV and the following day the Healthy Connections nurses were set to make a visit.

Even though B did his best to make our house ready for “outsiders” I am super type A and I hopped up first thing Tuesday morning and spruced things up a bit more.  Right before the nurses were set to arrive I had a pretty big contraction.  Actually it was a really big contraction and it made me stop for a minute to catch my breath.  I was relieved when the nurses arrived because I knew I would start the new meds and have the monitor to ease my fears of not actually knowing if I was really having contractions (even though I was pretty sure I knew what they felt like).  It was a long visit, but I learned so much and the two nurses that came here were so sweet to me.  I monitored while they were here and sent in my strip to the nurse center and it showed that I had two contractions that hour and a lot of irritability.  That made me nervous…really nervous to be honest.  They inserted the catheter and got the meds running and about 4 hours after they arrived, they were leaving.  I was on my own!  The rest of the day was spent in bed b/c apparently the definition of bed rest doesn’t include visiting with your hubby in the kitchen while he cleans and it doesn’t include just throwing ONE load of laundry in b/c that couldn’t hurt.  I was to stay in my bed!  Bed, bathroom, shower and back to bed!

That evening I noticed several bouts of irritability and several contractions.  I put on the monitor so I could send a strip in and in 30 minutes I felt 3 contractions.  B was on the phone with my brother when I started crying because I had so many back to back.  I sent in the strip and the nurse ordered that I give myself a demand dose of meds from my pump.  After that, I was told to drink 2 bottles of water lay on my left side and re-monitor starting at 9pm.  From 9-10 on my strip I only had 1 contraction and some irritability. 

Wednesday was spent in bed the entire day and Biddy came back to help because I absolutely could not take care of Ellie and myself the way I needed to.  I had several more contractions on Wednesday.  Two on my morning strip and 1 on the evening strip.  Basically, the strips were showing uterine contractions every single hour.  That is scary at 20 weeks.  I knew my cervix looked good because I was just as the doctor, so the abrupt increase in contractions had to be due to the change in meds…at least in my mind that is what I thought.  My only relief was that I knew a nurse was coming out to our house on Thursday to test B on catheter insertion, so I could confess my fears/findings to her.

First thing Thursday, we had a very sweet nurse arrive at our house.  I have really liked all of the nurses we have had and it is awesome b/c all of them are or were L and D nurses at The Women’s Hospital of Texas!  That is where I delivered the twins and ideally I would like to deliver Cullen if he is full term.  Because they are nurses at a hospital we hold in such high regard I really trust them.  I didn’t waste one second of time before I started to express my concerns about the meds.  She was so sweet to listen and as soon as B passed the catheter insertion (by practicing on my leg) she called the head nurse and they increased the frequency and dose of my meds.  I noticed a decrease in the next 24 hours and by Saturday I wasn’t having any contractions on my hourly monitoring strips.  I have felt a few here and there, but that is normal.  I haven’t had regular contractions since Friday morning!  Praise the nurse that listened to my concerns and helped make the change in my meds!!!

We (or maybe I should say Ellie and I) had an awesome Valentine weekend!  B surprised me with beautiful flowers on Friday ~ that Ellie told me we could share!  Saturday, B and Ellie had fun day together and Sunday our Cupid surprised us with another round of goodies.  It was an awesome moment to see Ellie’s face as she entered the kitchen to see what her Valentine (daddy) had waiting for her.  Roses, a HUGE balloon and all of her favorite candies exploding out of a box!  I couldn’t have done a better job myself if I had been in charge of her gift.  Brandon outdid himself as usual.  I was sad that we didn’t have any goodies for him and if I had half a brain I would have ordered him something online…my brain is on bed rest too I guess!  To top it all off Brandon made the VERY BEST homemade french onion soup for us to enjoy!  Brandon is only human, but I promise sometimes he proves himself to be super human to us!  He really is the love of my life!

On Sunday evening we were surprised with dinner from friends down the street.  I can’t tell you how much it meant to have a homemade meal!  I love to cook and we are used to having home cooked meals every single night.  For the past few months we have either had to eat to go food that B picks up on his way home from work or frozen meals from the freezer…it has been expensive and fattening!!!!  Bless Biddy’s heart…she is the best laundry washer/folder/organizer in the WORLD, she can read a mean book to Ellie, play baseball, and go for walks, but cooking is not her “thing!”   Our episodes (her episodes) in the kitchen are for a post all their own!  Yes, she reads my blog and YES she is aware I am exposing her!  So, to say I was overjoyed when our friends offered home cooked spaghetti would be a total UNDERSTATEMENT!!!  I have a terrible time accepting help from others, but that was the best meal I have had in a long time!!!  I am very grateful to them for that wonderful surprise!

The end of Sunday meant the 21 week mark!! 

How far along: 21 weeks

Total weight gain/loss: Up 8 pounds as of the last appointment.

Maternity clothes: Yes - and comfy lounge clothes.  I have resorted to B’s sleep pants b/c now I have this pump that I have to accomodate!

Stretch marks: Left over from the twins!

Sleep: Better now that I have the pump that gives me meds at a scheduled time.

Movement: Yes!  He is a long boy b/c I will feel a kick above my belly button and then another jab on the old bladder!  It is different carrying one baby vs. two b/c he has so much room to move!

Food cravings:  For the past few weeks this is my meal plan: B) Waffle, peanut butter sandwich L) hot pocket and an ENTIRE bag of steamed veggies! D) whatever gets made out of the freezer or B brings home! 

Gender: BOY!!!

I miss: I don’t miss one thing…I love this little boy more than words can explain and I will do whatever it takes to get him here on time!

What I am looking forward to: I go to the OB next Tuesday and then the peri two weeks from then.  We have our shower in about 6 weeks and it is my goal to have his room totally done by then (minus bedding which is being made).

Milestones: Every single day is a milestone! 

Prayers: That my placenta will continue to move and will no longer be covering the cervix.  I pray that the contractions stay to a “normal” minimum and that the meds keep our precious little miracle cooking for another 14 and a half weeks.  This process isn’t really that hard on me…I mean I just have to stay in bed all day and pray that I can keep this little boy safe.  My husband on the other hand has the tough job.  I am grateful for his strength and his dedication to our family.  I feel guilty a lot of the time that he has to endure so much more than he should…after all that he already does.  I know he can do this because we have made it through worse, but I do pray that the next three and a half months are smooth and worry free for his sake as well as mine!  One last prayer…for my very good friend Heather.  She found out last week on her routine trip to Houston that her cancer has returned…  Please, please offer up any prayers you can for Heather and her young family.  She is amazing and has an amazing family to support her, but the truth is she has an aggressive form of cancer that is giving her a run for her money.  She beat it once and I KNOW she will do it again…she is a FIGHTER!!! 

Blessings,

Angie

1 comment:

Birthlink said...

angie, your blog moved me as an educator and I wanted to encourage you during this difficult time. Take each day slowly and give it up to the Lord. May God bless your body to embrace your little one and keep inside as long as possible. If you need a childbirth class we have online classes at www.birthlink.org. We also recommend the happiest baby on the block dvd for parenting. My best to you and your little angel.