Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Here’s the scoop…

I’m still here!  I know I promised an update yesterday and I DID start one, but then they added sedation meds into my IV and I was OUT!!!

We have had busy days since we’ve been here.  Being at Women’s is like being in our home away from home.  In fact, one of our neo’s asked us how it was coming back up here after everything that had happened.  We were honest and told him that initially it was super hard, but we created a family with our VERY CLOSE nurses and having the neo docs here to make sure our baby boy is in the best hands just puts our hearts more at ease.  We have had visitors every single day.  Yesterday, the charge nurses from the NICU stopped in to say HI and see Ellie (she was totally out of sorts yesterday).  Auntie Kaitlin was on duty, so she came up for a visit and Ellie was thrilled to see her…and wondering where Ayden was I am sure!  Ellie even got a chance to see one of her neo doctors that helped save her life…he was overjoyed to see her and just popped in again this morning to check on me and tell me how great it was to see her yesterday. 

I have had 2 of my OWN primary nurses from the twins pregnancy and it is so wonderful to be taken care of in this way.  We have been blessed during this hospital stay!

Now for the real news:

- Contractions are still frequent.  Every 7-10 min sometimes more ~ sometimes they space out a little.

- On 2 grams/hr of magnesium sulfate.  Thought it was going to kill me yesterday morning.  UGH!  The nausea was horrible and it makes you feel very hot!  They cut the dose in half yesterday, but last night I broke through with contractions every 4 minutes, so I got a shot of terbutaline on top of them turning my mag back up to full dose.  Fun times!  That is when they decided to add sedation meds to my IV in order to get me to relax and go to sleep in order to let my body relax and stop the contractions.  I am pretty sure they gave me an elephant tranquilizer…I couldn’t even put words together.  Needless to say, I was out and today I am still pretty out of it.  I have the same orders for the rest of my stay b/c the doctor wants to give my body the best chance to absorb all of the mag with me relaxed enough to let the meds do their job.  It makes sense to me, but I know I will enjoy feeling like ME again. 

- No cervical change at all on the ultrasound yesterday!  Praise God!!!  Cervix measured 3cm with no funneling. 

- Cullen weighed in at 4 lbs 8 oz and I PROMISE all of you he looks identical to his daddy!!!  Same shaped head and face…it is amazing.  He had the hiccups during our u/s and that was neat to see.  The peri said that hiccups is a good sign and it means the baby has good wellbeing…ummm…Bennett always had hiccups and he was in an amniotic sac with no water and struggling.  But, whatever…he is the pro, so all we can do it take his word for it. 

- I am still in L and D, but I am being moved to a permanent room in the Antipartum unit.  That means better beds and a nicer bathroom!!!  Oh, and I get to wear my own clothes!

- I will be here until Monday (at least).  At that time my doctor is going to transition me back to the terb pump and send me home for the last 4 weeks!!!  I am thrilled!  However, I know I have to make it the next 3 1/2 days in the hospital trying to get my contractions under control and that is no small job!  My irritable uterus has made a name for itself here and I want nothing more to do with it!  We are working on a new nickname for it!

I miss my baby girl more than I even imagined, but I can’t worry about her and get my body straight.  So, I am counting on family to make sure she is occupied and I’ll surprise her Monday.  I am in the final stretch and making it to the finish line means bringing our baby boy right home with us!  My doctors are thrilled that I am 31.5 and that I’ll be 32 weeks on Saturday.  I’m pretty sure all parties involved with this pregnancy will need a strong drink when it is over!!!

Look for a lot of updates to come.  I have a post that was started over the weekend and a ton of pictures!  I’ll get it up asap! 

Many thanks for the texts and phone calls!  We are blessed to have such giving and thoughtful friends and family!

Blessings,

Angie

 

1 comment:

Juliette said...

You're doing great! You're such a great mom.

Julie