Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Any day now?!?!

If I would have posted yesterday after the peri appt I would have had different news to report.  However, I decided to wait to combine the news from the OB today and I am happy I did because the news is pretty different!

I made it through the cramping and contractions on Monday with three demand doses of terb.  It was a rough day and I really thought the ultrasound on Tuesday would reveal a ton of changes.  Monday night I got horribly sick…one minute I was in bed and the next I was vomiting!  It was terrible.  I was very worried that there was something up with my blood pressure b/c my head was killing me too!

However, I woke up on Tuesday morning feeling great!  I truly felt like I could walk around the block…if I so desired and had permission to do!  B had the idea to pack the car with our bags “just in case” and put Cullen’s car seat in the car.  With Ellie all loaded up we were on our way.  I laughed when I realized that we had the car seat and NO BAGS!!!  Only us! 

No contractions the WHOLE way to the doctor…that is pretty amazing for me b/c usually the car causes contractions immediately.  We got right in to see the doctor this time which was great!

We got started on the ultrasound right away and it seemed as if nothing had changed.  Heart and brain both look great.  Measurements were off the chart as usual!  Cullen is in the 78% weighing in at 6lbs 15oz!  He is estimated to weigh close to 8lbs if we make it to delivery ~ THREE weeks one day early!!!  Then came the cervical check…NO CHANGE from last week!  I was shocked.  We could still see the funneling and it looked a little worse than last week, but no other changes that the dr noted.  We were on cloud 9!  It really looked as if we would make it to delivery with no risk of early delivery. 

This morning was my last scheduled OB appt.  My mom picked us girls up and we were off.  I was anticipating the exact same news.  A little pat on the head and some info about my csection next week. 

That is what I get for expecting…

I do love my OB b/c she doesn’t sugar coat anything!  She is super thrilled that I have made it this far and was laughing about the size of Cullen!  She asked me if I thought we were going to make it and I looked at her and said, “You tell me!!!”  We discussed the csection next week and I’m really only nervous about the epidural.  She thinks Cullen will be fine and said she probably won’t even request that the NICU team be in the delivery room!  That is exciting to me!  We discussed the tubal ligation…yes, I am having my tubes tied and a few other important details about meds. 

Then we got to the cervical exam.  That’s when the news really changed.  Turns out I am 60% effaced (I finally asked) and *not quite* fully ripe.  My OB’s joking went the more serious route and she told me I absolutely couldn’t have this baby this weekend b/c she is going to be out of town until Sunday night!  I knew that she was leaving b/c it was her birthday and it stresses me out, but it is even worse now knowing I am SO close.  She gave me her cell phone number and told me to text her if I am admitted Sunday night or beyond and she will be up there to deliver me.  UGH!  I really don’t want to have come this far and then not deliver with my own doctor!  She knows our story inside and out and we have really become very close. 

So close, as a matter of fact, that I asked her if she was going to bring the champagne to the delivery room!  

In all seriousness, I can go into labor at ANY time from now until my delivery date.  I have 90% less confidence today than I did yesterday about making it.  My contractions are very strong today, but who ever knows what that means! 

All we can do it sit and wait for:

1.  My contractions to be so strong and constant that demand doses of terb are no longer effective…

or

2.  For my water to break.

I have 2 more full days until I reach the 36 week mark.  At 35 weeks 50% of babies go home and at 36 weeks 90% of babies go home (without having to stay in the NICU).  I would much rather be playing with the 90% odds, plus I would LOVE for my own doctor to deliver me!

However, just like the rest of this journey…the remainder is not up to us.  So, we will wait and be as prepared as we possibly can for any changes that might occur.  Oh, and I am pretty sure we will go ahead and put the bags in the car today…just in case!

Thank you for your continued emails, texts and prayers.  We are almost there!

Blessings,

Angie

2 comments:

Thomas and Jamie said...

The Lord has been so good! Can't wait 'til Monday to hear that your doctor is back and THEN you can deliver!! Praying specifically!

Jodi said...

I'm so happy for you, Angie!! You have come so far and I'm so glad to be able to follow you on your journey. What a lucky little (er. . .big) boy Cullen is to have such wonderful parents and big sister. I know Bennett is smiling down on all of you. He's probably also asking Logan, "When are you going to send an angel to your family?" God bless you and your family!