Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Thursday, April 9, 2009

BIG week

Seriously…has a week already passed since my last post? Where has the time gone and why is it that I can’t get an extra few hours in a day?

This is our recap (not that it is interesting for you to read…but, because I like to keep record for Ellie someday):

Friday was playtime! It was beautiful outside, so after a trip to the grocery store I managed to make my first home cooked meal in about 2 weeks! Ellie had her best friend Addison (aka Adds) over and they had a blast playing with the water table…until Ellie decided to pull an “un-lady like” move and make a #2 in her bathing suit WITHOUT a pull-up on. Paging Daddy…clean-up on isle: Ellie!

Saturday was ridiculously busy from the minute Ellie woke up (after 10:30am). We had a birthday party scheduled at 11am near our house, a baptism schedule for roughly the same time across town and a party in the evening near our house…can someone say BUSY! Literally, we were gone from 11:30 (yes, we were late to the birthday party) until close to midnight (and yes, we had Ellie with us ~ we NEVER keep her out that late!). I wasn’t surprised that Ellie ended up with a clear runny nose because 70% of the kiddos we came in contact with that day had one. Why is it that I notice every single cough, sneeze and sniffle and most of the other parents are laid back not worrying? And if you do ask if a child hasn't been feeling well most parents say, “It’s just allergies.” Seriously, I didn’t realize allergies were contagious (sense the sarcasm?). Basically, after being around a lot of kids that “just had allergies,” Ellie woke up on Sunday with “allergies” too. Bring on the orange Triaminic.

Sunday was a difficult day. Ellie was sick, so we let her sleep in and didn’t make it to church. It was one of those days that I really needed to go to church b/c I was missing Bennett so badly that it hurt to move. I finally had a break down in the kitchen while I was getting a glass of ice water…poor Brandon! After I got myself together, I decided that Ellie and I would go get flowers and have a long visit with Bubba together (B was smoking a brisket, so he had to stay at home and watch the fire). It was a much needed trip and I felt a lot better when I got home. We invited Uncle D, Aunt Katie and Mimi over to eat because I am pretty sure we had enough food for a large country!

Here comes Monday! You know it’s going to be a busy week when you have to send yourself an email detailing exactly what needs to get done each day of the week and it’s only Sunday night! We hit the road running on Monday morning (even though Ellie was still suffering from “allergies”). By mid-day I decided to call our pediatrician b/c Ellie wasn’t getting any relief from our orange Triaminic. We had an appointment for 11 on Tuesday. I had a large order to get out, so Ellie relaxed for the afternoon while I worked. I got a text at about 4:30 that afternoon from my very good bloggy friend Heather. I have written about her before and if you haven’t read her story please hop over to her blog and check it out. She was in town for a visit to MD Anderson to get a new plan for beating stage IV Melanoma cancer. I was secretly hoping that she would get the appointment down here, so we could meet. What an amazing woman! Brandon, Ellie and I met up with Heather and her husband Cody at The Hard Rock Café. It was a blast! Heather and I share a love for sewing, so we did a little sew talk, and little cancer talk (sorry Heather) and got to know each other. Heather is starting a very intense medicine regimen here in Houston next week and will have to come visit 6 times for a week each time. Did I mention she has two very young babies at home? Please keep Heather and her family in your prayers. I will be putting together a goodie bag for each one of her visits (sorry to ruin the surprise Heather), so if you would like to contribute please email me!

Keep in mind…my week was already planned out, and a trip to the doctor wasn’t in the plans. Turns out, Ellie’s “allergies” were actually an upper respiratory infection. I was so relieved that I got her in! We left with a prescription and with hope that she would feel better soon. By the way, Dr. Y is one of Ellie’s best friends now. He was so tickled with how calm and sweet she was with him. I told him it’s probably because she sees him once a week! What did we learn from that: while runny nose, coughing and sneezing CAN be allergies…make sure you take your child to the doctor just to make sure. The co-pay is worth keeping your child healthy and everyone else’s around you!

Wednesday was packed! Lunch (Ellie has to eat!), Sam’s club and completing one order in order to start another. At 7:30 I still hadn’t started dinner…yikes!

Here we are today. Last night was sleepless…literally. I finally decided to get out of bed at 5 and make breakfast and coffee for B before he left for work. I took the extra time to update our blog until my usually late riser, rose at 7:30am. This was right after I got a call on my cell from my race car driver husband that he had “been run up on curb by another car and popped a tire.” Likely story. I am sure there is some truth to the story, but if you have ever been in the car with Brandon you know why I am somewhat skeptical. Today will be spent picking up TCM t-shirts, doing the rest of shopping for our crawfish boil and Easter Sunday and preparing the house for the housekeeper b/c THANK GOODNESS she comes tomorrow! Ugh…I’m exhausted just typing all of this! Not to mention, Ellie’s illness has spread to Brandon and me. The last few days have been filled with “productive” coughing which I am will soon be handled with an antibiotic b/c of these CF lungs I have!

Team Chunky Monkey update:
WOW…we are up to $2080 total with 17 days left. That is awesome guys! We are hoping to raise a little more at the crawfish boil on Saturday with all of your “spare change.” The food it set to be served at 2pm rain or shine! Feel free to show early and share a cold one with B and his trusty Cajun chef, but don’t forget your cooler! Also, the club is usually short on chairs, so if you have a favorite chair you might want to bring it too. We can’t wait to see you, but we are going to ask for one major favor.

While we would love to see each and everyone of you…Please, please, please do not come if you, anyone in your house, or anyone you are regularly exposed to has been sick (coughing, sneezing, runny nose, congestion, fever, diarrhea, you name it) if you sound sick or have a child with any of the listed ailments or anyone has been on antibiotics in the last WEEK. Not only can Ellie’s immune system not handle it, but now mine can’t either. We thank all of you in advance for understanding and don’t worry…if you can’t make it we will be sure to plan a date with you in the near future!

Blessings,
Angie

3 comments:

The Lyons Family said...

Woo-hoo!!! SOOOO excited to see that Grand Total for MoD! I'm back on Facebook after Easter Sunday, so I'll be pumping my "friends" for donations.

I'm remembering how fun it was at the Crawfish Boil last year & wishing we could be there again this year! Y'all take care of your "allergy" selves & have a great time!

Oh, and HAPPY EASTER!!! Praise God for Resurrection Life and the hope it brings, especially for your family! Love ya, girl!

Jodi said...

That's so neat that you got to meet Heather and Cody. I was so excited to hear that you guys got together, although I wish her reasons for traveling down there were different.

Only a parent of a preemie realizes that it's not normal for children to have runny noses. I think some people think children=runny noses. No, it means that they have some sort of illness. . .even if it's just a minor cold or "allergies." Olivia has had one true runny nose and that is when she had a cold. Noses are the first thing I look at when Olivia is around other children. I wish our lives weren't consumed by every cough or sneeze. . .

Anyway, I hope Ellie is feeling better and that you all have a wonderful Easter!!

Heidi said...

What about YOU? How are you feeling? Have you done your chest ct yet? Your pft's? Take care you yourself girl!