Bennett David Kahl

Bennett David Kahl
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers Ephesians 1:16

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Flu? Not again!

Viral gastroenteritis…also known as the stomach flu…is what I have spent the last 3 days with. If you know me you know I am paranoid about germs especially when it comes to germs and Ellie. So, when I got sick on Thursday night I prayed that maybe it was just something I ate. Twelve hours later when my world was spinning and nausea had overtaken my body I knew it was beyond a bad meal. I am pretty sure I used 2/3 of a bottle of Lysol on every surface in my house and I spent 2 ½ nights on our couch…WOW, we could really use a new one!

The most frustrating part of having the flu for the SECOND YEAR in a row is that both years I have gone to the doctor for a flu shot. Actually, this year I tried the nasal mist because I had an allergic reaction to the shot last year. Some immune system I have! The good news is that neither Brandon nor Ellie seem to have come down with this nasty bug which is a huge relief to me!

After being sick on my couch for the last three days I will head to the hospital first thing in the morning to have a surgical procedure called an h-scope. Hysteroscopy uses a hysteroscope, which is a thin telescope that is inserted through the cervix into the uterus. Sounds fun doesn’t it? This will give our fertility doctor a better idea of the condition of my uterus and let him know if it will be suitable for another pregnancy. The last time we had this done we got good results, but that was 3 years and one tainted pregnancy ago. Never a dull moment!!!

After this procedure our next step is to begin the shots (with the horse needle) and prepare my uterus and hormone levels for another pregnancy. I think what I am most nervous about is the unfreezing process our embryos will undergo. We have five blastocysts (multi-cell embryos) left and experts say that approximately 70% will survive the thawing process. Our doctor has decided to implant two embryos provided we have two to implant, but that is another post all by itself.

The next few weeks will be exciting, exhausting and probably a little painful, but in the long run they will be worth it. One weekend morning three years ago right before we underwent our IVF egg transfer I was making breakfast. I cracked an egg open to make an omelet and out of one egg came two yolks. I was so excited that I called Brandon in to see it and I recall thinking that it could be some sort of sign of great things to come. This past week I was washing cherries off for Ellie to snack on and I had a similar incident. So many times the cherries are on their own stems and I just wash and go not thinking of anything. On this particular day I can’t tell you how many of our cherries were double and triple stems with cherries attached. Coincidence? I’m sure it was…but what timing! PLEASE keep us in your prayers for the next few weeks and I promise I will keep you all updated!

No comments: